Rostov Kremlin or Metropolitan’s palace used to be the centre of metropolitan of Russian orthodox church on the main square once famous as Rostov Great, on the coasts of lake Nero.
Kremlin is Russian word for castle, fortress or chateau and it is referring to many central building objects in historical Russian towns. Metropolitan’s castle inRostovwas risen as residential metropolitan and it didn’t determinate defense architecture, so the walls of Rostov Kremlin are decorative and not defensive.
Metropolitan residence is one of the best preserved buildings of old Russian architecture today. It combines master pieces of old Russian architecture with orthodox church painting.Rostov’s Kremlin from 1998 is under the protection of UNESCO’s program of World heritage.
Rostovis one of the oldest towns inRussiaand important tourist centre in the area famous as Golden ring north east fromMoscow. It is situated in Yaroslavsk region and it has a statues as town museum.
While official name of the town was Rostov, it was more famous for Russian as Rostov Great. This name was given to be different from Rostovon Dona, which is now much bigger town. Rostovis first mentioned in 862 year as important settlement. Till 13th century is became the capital of one of the most prominent Russian dukes.
It became the part of Moscow’s duke at the end of 15th century. Even though it lost independence, Rostov is still the church centre of big importance, because it was in 988 the centre of first Russian eparchy. In 14th century, Rostov’s episcopes became Bishops, and at the end of 16th century metropolitans. The town was destroyed by Mongolians in 13th and 14th century, and Polish in 1608.Thanks to that fact, Rostov today is something more than one narrow village. Metropolitan chair was transferred to Yaroslav at the end of 18th century. One of the metropolitans, Jona Sisojevič (1607-1690) is the one who is creditable for main sight ofRostov the Great,Rostov’s Kremlin, which is considered by many as one of the most beautiful castles outside theMoscow. The centre square is decorated by big temple.
Rostov Kremlin is built during the life of metropolitan Jona Sisojevič.The architect was the master Petar Dosaev. The residence was built in the shape of castle, even though till that time the era of Kremlin construction was history. Main square in Rostovis the place for Templeof Templeof the Assumption of the Mother of God (1508-1512).It rise on the place where it used to be the church from 12th century and it is very similar to the church of the same name inMoscow.
The height of temple with the cross is about60 m, the rest of complex was built from bricks, and the base and edges of white stones. Many decorative elements, poles, horizontal parts and reliefs together with domes of temple remind of the scene from the fairy tale.
The bell tower of the church was mostly built in 17th century on the southeast side ofTemple of the Assumption of the Mother of God and it has two towers with four bell towers. Its bells are among the biggest and most famous inRussia, and every has its name. According to the statement by metropolitan Jona it was 13 bells which had its musical scale and they could have been able to perform harmonic ringing. Today is preserved collection of 15 bells. The biggest bell, made in 1688, is 32 tones heavy, and it is called Sisoje in an honor of metropolitan’s father.
« Vrati se na prethodnu stranicu